Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

TMJ?!?

Yesterday I had a slight migraine [and by slight I mean it felt like there was a needle going through my eye]. My friend was over and, having been a migraine suffered himself, he proceeded on giving me a "migraine massage", which consisted of rubbing my forehead, brow bone, under my eyes, temples, etc. When he got to my jaw, right by my ear, it hurt.

Not my head. I mean I felt massage pressure in my jaw as pain, and at the same time the pain in my head got sharper. I told him that had hurt and I got "omg dude I think you may have TMJ!"

If you know me, you know my "wtf" face. If you've ever had a migraine or know someone that has, you know the migraine face, which is basically you look like you're in a daze and/or high. Combine those two faces and that's how I looked at him.

"I'm sorry...TM wha?"

"TMJ!!! It's some crap with your jaw, I had it too and they fixed it and my migraines went away a lot. Does your jaw pop?"

:: proceed on doing my trick where I can make my jaw pop over and over and over ::

After that was all over I was still confused so I googled it:

Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJD or TMD), or TMJ syndrome, is an umbrella term covering acute or chronic inflammation of the temporomandibular joint, which connects the mandible to the skull. The disorder and resultant dysfunction can result in significant pain and impairment.

There's quite a few symptoms, 2 of which I have...popping jaw and migraines. If you have migraines you will know that we [migraine sufferers] will do ANYTHING to figure out why we have this and how to get rid of it. Take this funky green pill? Sure. Get Botox? Why not! Stick this piece of ginger between your toes and jump up and down while reciting an ancient song? Couldn't hurt.

So for someone to "diagnose" me with something that isn't so far fetched, kinda made me really happy. Google says I need to find a "neuromuscular dentist". I have no clue what that is. What's worse, is that I looked up my insurance today and under the section TMJ, it was blank. Which means I'm not covered oorrrr...I don't know.

But I must research this further. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment