Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

forgiving AND forgetting?



Oh the age old phrase which I've come to think is utter bullshit. Maybe somewhere in the world there IS somebody that can totally forgive and forget, but experience after experience has taught me that I am not one of them.

At.all.

I guess I can forgive. With time I do get over the anger or hurt or resentment or whatever.

But forget? Never. I've never understood how it's even possible to ever forget something that someone has done to you. You can't erase your memory.

According to Oprah.com, the 8 ways to forgive and forget are:
  • Say a prayer.
  • Focus on gratitude.
  • Look for the lesson.
  • Maintain perspective.
  • Learn the lesson.
  • Let go of resentment.
  • Stay centered.
  • Get revenge positively.
via: http://www.oprah.com/spirit/8-Ways-to-Forgive-and-Forget/1

Sounds nice and dandy but will it really work? Does doing those things really help when "forgiving and forgetting" someone that broke your heart? Lost your trust? Stabbed you in the back?

So now I wonder if you have to forget in order to truly forgive? Or does it not matter. Is conquering one enough? Hhmm.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed... I can forgive but NOT forget. I'm always weary of forgetting because then there is no stopping someone from doing the same thing again. You know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's very hard to do both. I think the best thing to learn in life, is to not hold a grudge. I like to think more like... someone did something wrong to me... i will take the time and be pissed off for as long as I want/need to be... I can be civil and indifferent at the same time. Forgetting is very hard. Forgiving is hard too. I think it depends on the value of that person in your life... and the offense committed. It's like an equation.
    ::sidenote:: i love your blog and the redesign. : )

    ReplyDelete